In this guide, you'll find information on where to stay, what to do, and how to get around while in South Lake Tahoe. Playpark Lodge is a great hotel option located right on the lake. You'll be able to enjoy incredible views of the water and the surrounding mountains from your room. There are also plenty of activities to enjoy right outside your door, including swimming, boating, fishing, and hiking.
Check out our articles on the best hiking trails, camping sites, and fishing spots in the area. And when you're ready to hit the water, be sure to read our guides on kayaking, canoeing, and stand-up paddleboarding. No matter what your adventure style is, we've got you covered!
Looking for a little more excitement? South Lake Tahoe is home to some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the country. In our Ski & Snowboard section, you'll find everything you need to know about hitting the slopes, from where to find the best deals on lift tickets to which runs are best for beginners. And when you're ready to apres-ski, we've got recommendations for the best bars and restaurants in town.
Top things to do in South Lake Tahoe
1. Hiking: There are plenty of great hiking trails in South Lake Tahoe. Some of our favorites include the Rubicon Trail, which offers stunning views of the lake, and Eagle Falls Trail, which is a short but strenuous hike to a beautiful waterfall.
2. Camping: South Lake Tahoe is home to some of the best camping in the country. One of our favorite spots is D.L. Bliss State Park, which offers amazing views of the lake and plenty of opportunities for hiking, swimming, and fishing.
3. Fishing: South Lake Tahoe is a fisherman's paradise. There are plenty of great spots to fish from shore or from a boat. Some of our favorite places to fish include North Shore Marina, Tahoe Keys Marina, and Camp Richardson.
4. Skiing & Snowboarding: South Lake Tahoe is home to some of the best skiing and snowboarding in the country. The area is home to several world-class resorts, including Heavenly Mountain Resort, Northstar California, and Kirkwood Mountain Resort.
5. Apres-Ski: After a day on the slopes, there are plenty of great places to apres-ski in South Lake Tahoe. Some of our favorites include Basecamp Pizza Co., Sideburns Bar & Grill, and Sprouts Natural Foods Cafeteria.
Top Resorts in South Lake Tahoe
1. Heavenly Mountain Resort: Located on the California side of the lake, Heavenly Mountain Resort is one of the most popular ski resorts in the area. The resort offers a wide variety of runs for all skill levels, as well as a world-class ski school.
2. Northstar California: Northstar California is another popular ski resort in South Lake Tahoe. The resort offers a variety of runs for all skill levels, as well as a kids' ski school and a Snow tubing park.
3. Kirkwood Mountain Resort: Kirkwood Mountain Resort is a lesser-known ski resort in South Lake Tahoe, but it offers some of the best skiing in the area. The resort is known for its challenging black diamond runs and its abundance of powder snow.
4. Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort: Sierra-at-Tahoe Resort is a smaller ski resort located near South Lake Tahoe. The resort offers a variety of runs for all skill levels, as well as a terrain park and a half pipe.
5. Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe: Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe is located on the Nevada side of the lake and is one of the largest ski resorts in the area. The resort offers a variety of runs for all skill levels, as well as a terrain park and a half pipe.
Whether you're looking for a relaxing vacation or an adrenaline-filled adventure, South Lake Tahoe is the perfect destination. With so much to see and do, you're sure to find something to suit your fancy. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your trip today!